The following are facts about students on school boards in Michigan.
District School Boards
There are 891 public school boards in Michigan. They serve approximately 1.5 million students in 3,550 K-12 schools.
- Students in Michigan can join district school boards but cannot vote. Their terms vary.
- High school principals generally train student representatives through their building’s Honor Society.
Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB)
- There are 8 voting members on the Michigan State Board of Education. None of them are student members or representatives.
- Students are not formal members of the state school board association, but are offered specific training to support their involvement.
Michigan State School Board
There are eight members on the Michigan State School Board who are joined by the state superintendent, the governor and the state board executive.
- There are no student representatives on the state board of education.
Michigan Students on Board Resources
- Students on Boards webpage—This MASB webpage includes press releases, newsletter articles and more, and is a wonderful resource for district boards.
- Students on Boards toolkit—Cowritten by SoundOut, this MASB resource is for boards who want policies, tips and tools for launching forward.
- Students on Boards podcast—SoundOut’s Adam Fletcher talks with MASB executive director Don Wotruba about the successes, challenges and nuances of engaging students on boards.
- “Welcome to the Movement for Meaningful Student Involvement“—An article written by Adam Fletcher for the Michigan Association of School Boards magazine, LeaderBoard.