Since 1998, every school board in Ontario has had student trustees by law. Each district is mandated to include one to three students.
Student trustees in Ontario:
- Can share input, raise issues and discuss topics just like any trustee, influencing policy decisions, etc.
- Do not have a vote
- Is intended to bring the student voice to the board table
- Is intended to help to ensure the school board is acting in the best interest of the students
- Can attend every in-camera meeting except those related to personnel.
Some school boards in Ontario also have a student council made up of student representatives from each high school that advises the student trustee.
- Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board policy
- Toronto School District Board Student Trustee 1 webpage
- Student Trustees
- Students as Advisors
- Student Voice in Education Agencies
- Meaningful Student Involvement Handbook
- Ontario Student Trustees’ Association has an informative website
- Law: Education Act Ontario Regulation 7/07 Student Trustees