Oakland Unified School District Family and Student Engagement Office in Oakland, California operates a district-wide Meaningful Student Engagement Collaborative made of organizations that support Meaningful Student Involvement, student voice, and student-led organizing.
Today, Meaningful Student Engagement (MSE) works with district, site, and community partners to improve student learning and achievement through implementing the Oakland School Board-adopted MSE standards to increase student voice. These standards are based on SoundOut’s frameworks for Meaningful Student Involvement.
- In partnership with site based staff and community-based and grassroots organizations, serving 5,000 high school students across 13 sites though daily site and district level peer to peer leadership programming.
- Providing professional learning and peer coaching to leadership teachers, to ensure fidelity to MSE curriculum implementation, in middle and high schools.
- Facilitating youth action research to inform site and district continuous improvement efforts.
You Might Like…
- Oakland Unified School District Meaningful Student Engagement webpage
- Oakland Unified School District Meaningful Student Engagement standards summary
- Oakland Unified School District Meaningful Student Involvement standards details
- Oakland Unified School District Student Engagement Standards
UNITED STATES STUDENT VOICE DIRECTORY — Updated for 2023
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawai’i | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
RELATED: U.S. Office of Students and Youth | Students on District School Boards across the U.S. | Student Voice in U.S. Education Agencies | List of Education Agencies | “Typical Engagement? Students on School Boards in the U.S.”