Transforming schools with Meaningful Student Involvement requires increasing the capacity of students and adults, including teachers, administrators, school support staff, community partners and others. To help with that, SoundOut has developed a series of lesson plans. The SoundOut Skill Building Lesson Plans are designed for skill-building and knowledge-sharing.
SoundOut Skill Building Lesson Plans include more than 20 lesson plans to help groups explore different aspects of Meaningful Student Involvement and Student/Adult Partnerships. All exercises are hands-on, interactive, and focused on taking action. The lesson plans are designed for learners of all ages, including student-only and adult-only groups.
All of this–and more–lies in the heart of Meaningful Student Involvement. Learning through the lesson plans in this guide can allow students and adults to get to that heart, and further. Learn with us and share your thoughts, ideas and feedback in the comments section below. For information on SoundOut’s professional development services and more, contact us.
Thanks, and happy involvement!
- Lesson Plan #1: Student/Adult Partnerships
- Lesson Plan #2: Student Voice
- Lesson Plan #3: Readiness
- Lesson Plan #4: Stereotypes
- Lesson Plan #5: Bias Against Students
- Lesson Plan #6: Creating Roles
- Lesson Plan #7: Understanding Who You Are
- Lesson Plan #8: Language in Schools
- Lesson Plan #9: Learning to Listen
- Lesson Plan #10: Feedback Techniques
- Lesson Plan #11: Jargon in Schools
- Lesson Plan #12: Power, Trust, and Respect
- Lesson Plan #13: Ground Rules
- Lesson Plan #14: Group Strengths and Weaknesses
- Lesson Plan #15: Expectations
- Lesson Plan #16: Trust Circle
- Lesson Plan #17: Appreciations
- Lesson Plan #18: Action Planning
- Lesson Plan #19: Problem Solving
- Lesson Plan #20: Staying Solutions-Focused
- Lesson Plan #21: Roadblocks
- Lesson Plan #22: Letting Go & Taking Charge
- Lesson Plan #23: Ideal Partners
- BONUS: Brainteasers
- Tips: Lesson Plan Notes and Requirements
- Tips: How to Facilitate Student Voice
- Tips: Tips for Teachers
These lesson plans were created by Adam F.C. Fletcher for SoundOut under contract from the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction funded through a grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service. All contents ©2007 SoundOut. Permission to use is granted exclusively for nonprofit and in-school education purposes only. All Rights Reserved.