Meaningful Student Involvement transforms education. SoundOut promotes Meaningful Student Involvement. Learn how.
ADAM FLETCHER, Founding Director
Through his work with schools internationally, he has become a recognized authority on student voice, student engagement and Meaningful Student Involvement. He has a bachelors degree from The Evergreen State College focused on Critical Pedagogy and Youth Studies, and conducted graduate studies at the University of Washington College of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. Read his biography.
GEORGE PEGELOW, California Director
George graduated from Stanford University with an AB degree in Biological Sciences with a minor in Molecular Biology. He was Chief Instructor in the Shaolin Kenpo Karate program at Stanford from 1964 to 1987, where he also taught classes in eastern thought and sport and society, including a seminar with David Meggyesy they created and called “Sports, Consciousness and Social Change.” Pegelow also developed and taught the “Experimental Seminar on Optimal Human Performance.”
Pegelow was appointed to the Marin County Human Rights Commission and was Chair of the Commission’s Education Committee for eight years. As a Commissioner, he did extensive work in schools throughout Marin County to address bullying and relationship abuse. Pegelow is currently Chair of the Marin County Chapter of the ACLU of Northern California. He is currently working in Marin County school districts to expand Meaningful Student Involvement in school governance. Pegelow is the founder and president of Wu-Wei Associates, a human relations consulting firm established in 1971.
Affiliations are listed for informational purposes only.
- Dana Mitra, Penn State University (State College, PA)
- Jessica Vavrus, Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (Olympia, WA)
- Wendy Lesko, Youth Activism Project (Kensington, MD)
- Henry Giroux, McMaster University (Hamilton, ON)
- Sue Paro, HumanLinks Foundation (Bothell, WA)
- Brooke Haycock, Education Consortium (Washington, DC)
- Andrea Felix, Forum for Youth Investment (Baltimore, MD)
- Kate Casper, The Douay Martyrs School (London, UK)
- Michelle Gerster, Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School (Oakland, CA)
- Scott Le Duc, Capital High School (Olympia, WA)
- Larry Wright, Friday Harbor High School (Friday Harbor, WA)
- Olivia Archibald, Saint Martin’s University (Lacey, WA)
- Michele Levine, Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA)
- Michael Vavrus, The Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA)
- Pat Wasley, University of Washington College of Education (Seattle, WA)