Meaningful Student Involvement transforms education. SoundOut promotes Meaningful Student Involvement. Learn how.
Adam is the Founding Director of SoundOut. Through his work with schools internationally, he has become a recognized authority on student voice, student engagement and Meaningful Student Involvement. He has a bachelors degree from The Evergreen State College focused on Critical Pedagogy and Youth Studies, and conducted graduate studies at the University of Washington College of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. Read his biography.
Donnan is a lead consultant with SoundOut. For 23 years, she has been the Lead Learner at Park Forest Elementary School in State College, Pennsylvania. She has also been a principal in three other schools, as well as a middle school teacher. She has received numerous recognitions for her work in the field of education and environmental education, and is currently the Chair of the Advisory Council for Environmental Education in Pennsylvania among other roles. Donnan is also the President Elect of the National Association for Professional Development Schools.
Teddy is a SoundOut master facilitator focusing on student training and teacher workshops. Teddy With more than a decade in community-based education programs, Teddy is recognized nationally as highly skilled project leader. He earned his Masters in Social Work from the University of Washington, and an AB in Afro-American Studies and Philosophy from Harvard University.
Mike is a SoundOut master trainer, facilitating professional development sessions for educators on a variety of topics in addition to focusing on our curriculum. Mike has also served as the Program Director for Penny Harvest Seattle/King County since September of 2004. He has over 20 years of experience managing youth & adult leadership programs and is passionate about partnering with young people to create positive social change. Learn more about him here.
Cristine is a lead facilitator with SoundOut. A seasoned classroom teacher, she also helped lead the GearUP program at the University of Washington for several years before earning her PhD there. Focused on educational leadership and policy studies, she wrote her dissertation on Meaningful Student Involvement. Currently, she is a lecturer in education at the University of California in Santa Cruz.
George graduated from Stanford University with an AB degree in Biological Sciences with a minor in Molecular Biology. He was Chief Instructor in the Shaolin Kenpo Karate program at Stanford from 1964 to 1987, where he also taught classes in eastern thought and sport and society, including a seminar with David Meggyesy they created and called “Sports, Consciousness and Social Change.” Pegelow also developed and taught the “Experimental Seminar on Optimal Human Performance.”
Pegelow was appointed to the Marin County Human Rights Commission and was Chair of the Commission’s Education Committee for eight years. As a Commissioner, he did extensive work in schools throughout Marin County to address bullying and relationship abuse. Pegelow is currently Chair of the Marin County Chapter of the ACLU of Northern California. He is currently working in Marin County school districts to expand Meaningful Student Involvement in school governance. Pegelow is the founder and president of Wu-Wei Associates, a human relations consulting firm established in 1971.
- Kari Kunst
- Joseph Vavrus
- Chelsea Nehler
- Luke Bowerman of Wild Cow Studios
- Doug Smith
- Victoria Bawn
Affiliations are listed for informational purposes only.
- Dana Mitra, Penn State University (State College, PA)
- Jessica Vavrus, Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (Olympia, WA)
- Donnan Stoicovy, Park Forest Elementary School (State College, PA)
- Dana Bennis, Institute for Democratic Education in America (Tarrytown, NY)
- Dennis Harper, Generation YES (Olympia, WA)
- Wendy Lesko, Youth Activism Project (Kensington, MD)
- Henry Giroux, McMaster University (Hamilton, ON)
- Sue Paro, HumanLinks Foundation (Bothell, WA)
- Brooke Haycock, Education Consortium (Washington, DC)
- Andrea Felix, Forum for Youth Investment (Baltimore, MD)
- Kate Casper, The Douay Martyrs School (London, UK)
- Michelle Gerster, Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School (Oakland, CA)
- Scott Le Duc, Capital High School (Olympia, WA)
- Larry Wright, Friday Harbor High School (Friday Harbor, WA)
- Olivia Archibald, Saint Martin’s University (Lacey, WA)
- Michele Levine, Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA)
- Michael Vavrus, The Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA)
- Pat Wasley, University of Washington College of Education (Seattle, WA)