SoundOut is regularly cited as an expert service organization. Following are citations from news outlets, online media, scholarly sources and other locations.
- “Beyond Planning Prom—Connecting the Resurgent Student Voice Movements Across the Country” by Andrew Brennen and Eilza Jane Schaeffer for Huffington Post on December 17, 2015.
- “Why do American students have so littler power?” by Amanda Ripley for The Atlantic on March 12, 2015.
- “Should Students Sit on School Boards?” by Jacoba Urist for The Atlantic on April 23, 2014.
- “A leadership experiment in student voice: A new kind of summer school,” by Robin Kirk for OPC Register. Winter 2014.
- “Illuminating the Blind Spots – Climbing from Student Voice to Student Involvement” by Jodene Dunleavy and Max Cooke for Education Canada. 2014.
- “Students as partners are…” in Forum News and Notes Information and Ideas from The Forum for Collaborative Leadership & Innovation. April 22, 2014.
- “Engagement leads to happiness: So what about the classroom?” by Robert Ryshke for the Center for Teaching Advancing the Teaching Profession. January 20, 2014.
- “JCPS teachers embrace tactics to make sure students ‘get it,’ aren’t left behind academically,” by Antoinette Konz for the Louisville Courier-Journal. September 25, 2013.
- “Student Voice” By Denise Rose on Foothills School Divison blog. January 2013.
- “Creating Authentic Jobs For Student Learning Teams” by Susan Lucille Davis for Smart Learning. October 31, 2012.
- “Partnering with Students Yields Engaging Rewards,” by Amanda Ryan Fear at Teaching Tolerance. July 5, 2011.
- “Getting Students Involved in Creating a Healthy School Leigh Dalton,” by Ray Churchman, and Adriane Tasco for for ASCD Healthy School Communities. 2011.
- “Centennial student rallies peers to gain voice on Peoria Unified School District issues” by Jeffrey Javier for The Arizona Republic. March 4, 2011
- “Power to the Students!” in District Administration for Scholastic. May 2010.
- “Year in Review” by Helen Beattie for Youth and Adults Transforming Schools Together. Spring 2010.
- “Supporting Student Voice for Meaningful Change,” interview with Adam Fletcher. ASCD Whole Child Blogcast. May 2009.
- “Meeting Adam Fletcher and Seattle Visit” by Jean Berthiaume. October 14, 2009.
- “The Architecture of Ownership,” by Adam Fletcher in Educational Leadership. November 2008.
- “Getting Youth on Board” by Brian Wheeler for the National School Board Association. April 7, 2006.
- “Getting Students Involved in Creating a Healthy School” by L. Dalton, R. Churchman, and A. Tasco for ASCD: Health School Communities Whole Child Initiative. November 10, 2008.
- Children’s Rights 0-8: Promoting participation in education and care by Mallika Kanyal for Routledge. March 26, 2014.
- Organisation und Partizipation: Beiträge der Kommission Organisationspädagogik by Susanne Maria Weber, Michael Göhlich, Andreas Schröer, et al for Springer DE. 2013.
- Engaging Pupil Voice to Ensure that Every Child Matters: A Practical Guide by Rita Cheminais for Routledge. January 11, 2013.
- I’ve Got Something to Say: How student voices inform our teaching by David Booth for Pembroke Publishers Limited. October 9, 2013.
- Young Citizens of the World: Teaching Elementary Social Studies through Civic Engagement, Second Edition by Marilynne Boyle-Baise and Jack Zevin for Routledge. December 4, 2013.
- “I think it’s important we get a say”: KidsMatter and student voice by Australia Primary Schools Mental Health Initiative. 2013.
- Better Serving Teens through School Library–Public Library Collaborations by Cherie P. Pandora and Stacey Hayman for ABC-CLIO. August 15, 2013.
- Socially Responsible Literacy: Teaching Adolescents for Purpose and Power by Paula M. Selvester and Deborah G. Summers for Teachers College Press. 2012.
- Aim High, Achieve More: How to Transform Urban Schools Through Fearless Leadership by Yvette Jackson and Veronica McDermott for ASCD. 2012.
- Increasing Student Engagement and Retention Using Immersive Interfaces: Virtual Worlds, Gaming, and Simulation by Charles Wankel, Patrick Blessinger, Jurate Stanaityte and Neil Washington for Emerald Group Publishing. 2012.
- The Student Voice Handbook: Bridging the Academic/Practitioner Divide by Warren Kidd and Gerry Czerniawski for Emerald Group Publishing. 2011.
- Young People’s Voices in Physical Education and Youth Sport by Mary O’Sullivan and Ann MacPhail for Routledge. July 12, 2010.
- A School District’s Journey to Excellence: Lessons From Business and Education by Bill McNeal and Tom Oxholm for Corwin Press. July 3, 2008.
- Communities that Learn, Lead, and Last: Building and Sustaining Educational Expertise by Giselle O. Martin-Kniep for John Wiley & Sons. 2008.
- International Handbook of Student Experience in Elementary and Secondary School by Dennis Thiessen and Alison Cook-Sather for Springer. June 3, 2007.
- “Student school board reps are being heard” by W. Yost for the Sacramento Bee. January 25, 2007.
- Designs and Methods for Youth-Led Research by Melvin Delgado for SAGE. 2006.
- Students Are Stakeholders, Too!: Including Every Voice in Authentic High School Reform by Edie Holcomb for Corwin Press. 2006.
- Lift Every Voice: African American Students’ Beliefs of Their School Climate by Constinia Charbonnett for West Virginia University. 2005.
- “Youth Development, Participation, and School Reform: Creating Opportunities and Supports for Student Decision-making in a High School” by Matthew Calvert for University of Wisconsin-Madison. 2004.
- “Participatacao signficativa dos estudantes – Uma proposta de formacao baseada na coparticipacao de estudantes e professores no ensino superior” by Leanete Thomas Dotta and Marcia Ristow for Psicologia e Ciências da Educação da Universidade do Porto – FPCEUP
- Essential Voices, Part II: Engaging Students and Parents in the Implementation of a New Teacher Evaluation System. A report issued by Advocates for Children of New York. October 2013.
- “Student voice as a contested practice: Power and participation in two student voice projects” by Carol Robinson University and Carol Taylor for Improving Schools. March 2013.
- “Listening to Students’ Voices Putting Students at the Heart of Education Reform in the GCC” by Richard Shediac, Dr. Leila Hoteit and Dr. Mounira Jamjoom for Booz & Company. 2013.
- SpeakOut Alberta Student Engagement Initiative Year in Review 2010-11 by Alberta Education. 2011.
- “Leadership and student voice at one high school: An action research study” by T Campbell for Washington State University. 2009.
- “Systems, stakeholders, and students: Including students in school reform” by Shelley D. Zion for Improving Schools July 2009.
- “A report on the 16th International Democratic Education Conference” by John Loflin for the Black and Latino Policy Institute. August 11-17, 2008.
- “Youth engagement, high school reform, and improved learning outcomes: Building systemic approaches for youth engagement” by F Joselowsky for NASSP Bulletin. 2007.
- The Learning Compact Redefined: A Call to Action by ASCD. 2007.
- “Students matter in school reform: leaving fingerprints and becoming leaders” by Jerusha Osberg, Denise Pope and Mollie Galloway for International Journal of Leadership in Education: Theory and Practice. 2006.
Dissertations Based on SoundOut
- ParticipaÇÃo Significativa dos Estudantes – Uma Proposta de FormaÇÃo Baseada na CoparticipaÇÃo de Estandantes e Professores No Ensino Superior. Leanete Thomas Dotta and Marcia Ristow (2013)
- Middle School Student Involvement in China. Hui Ling Yang (2010)
- New Pathways for Partnerships: An Exploration of How Partnering With Students Affects Teachers and Schooling. Cristine Chopra. (2014)
- Student Council Participation and Broader Civic Engagement: A Preliminary Study by DECODE, commissioned by the Library of Parliament. June 9, 2010.
- “School Connectedness and Meaningful Student Participation“, US Department of Education. January 15, 2010.
- Student voice: A historical perspective and new directions. Paper No. 10. Victoria State Government. Department of Education Office of Learning and Teaching. 2007.
- 36th Edition North Carolina Youth Legislative Assembly Final Report by the North Carolina State Youth Council Youth Advocacy and Involvement Office. 2006.
SHARE YOUR CITATION WITH US! Please leave a comment below with your information, or contact us.