The Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction Student Advisory Board was created to include student voice and perspectives in statewide education policy decisions. Additionally, including student voice at the local level is a critical component of the mission of Graduation Matters Montana.
The following are facts about students on school boards in Montana.
District School Boards
- In 1972, the Montana state department of education reported that they encouraged local school boards to consider roles for students on district school boards.
- No current information is available. Please share your information in the comments section!
Montana Board of Public Education
- There are 7 voting members on the Montana State Board of Education, along with four non-voting members including a student member.
- One student advisor currently serves the Montana Board of Public Education.
- The Montana Association of Student Councils selects students for one year terms.
- Each year the Montana Association of Student Councils (MASC) sends and information packet and application to Montana high schools.
- The application requires a letter of recommendation.
- Applications are reviewed by the MASC.
- Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction Student Advisory Board
- Students on School Boards Toolbox Table of Contents
- SoundOut Guide to Students on School Boards 2nd Edition