The goal of the SoundOut Student Voice Research Reviews is to identify some of the most significant publications that are widely available that address issues important to meaningful student involvement; namely, they include:
- The purpose of student voice;
- The identity of students who are involved;
- The authority granted to students to create change;
- The role of student/adult partnerships in school change; and
- Critical examination of student voice and involvement.
The following articles, journals and books reviewed here have come from both scholarly research that represents a scientific, theory-testing approach; and applied research that employs case studies resulting in theories.
Simply click on the following title for a description of the research findings and a review of their content as it is relevant to SoundOut.
- Student Perspectives on School Improvement by John Beresford
- Authorizing Students’ Perspectives: Toward Trust, Dialogue, and Change in Education by Allison Cook-Sather
- Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students by Kathleen Cushman
- The Question Of The Student In Educational Reform by DP Ericson & FS Ellett
- Special Forum Issue on Student Voice edited by Michael Fielding
- The Roles of Youth in Society: A Reconceptualization by Ruthanne Kurth-Schai
- Look Who’s Talking Now: Student Views of Restructuring Schools edited by John Kushman
- Putting Students at the Centre in Education Reform by Barry Levin
- Student Voice in School Reform: Reframing Student-Teacher Relationships and Opening the Floodgates: Giving Students a Voice in School Reform by Dana Mitra
- Learning from Student Voices edited by Penny Oldfather
- Student Leadership and Restructuring: A Case Study by Cynthia Reed
- Critical Voices in School Reform: Students Living Through Change edited by B. Rubin & E. Silva
- How to Improve Your School: Giving Pupils a Voice by J. Rudduck & J. Flutter
- In Our Own Words: Students’ Perspectives On School edited by Jeffery Shultz & Allison Cook-Sather
- What Works in Education Reform: Putting Young People at the Center by Joel Tolman, P. Ford, & Merta Irby
- Listening To Urban Kids: School Reform And The Teachers They Want by B. Wilson & HD Corbett