The California State Board of Education Student Member has been a fixture since 1969. They have been full-voting members since 1983.
Starting in 1969, the SBE appointed a student to serve as a board advisor. In 1983, the Legislature and Governor granted the student full participation and voting rights.
In order to become student members of the SBE, students must be:
- Any student enrolled in a California public high school who will be a senior in good standing
- Be available to attend a statewide conference in November
- Serve a one-year term from August through July
- Attend all SBE meetings held during that time, which includes a minimum of two days every other month for approximately six meetings per year
- Vote on educational policies vital to California’s students and schools
According to the State School Board of Education, the position provides a wonderful opportunity to influence educational policy in areas such as curriculum, standards, assessments, accountability, and Local Control Funding Formula.
- California law requires that school district governing board student members select six of the 12 semifinalists for further consideration by the SBE
- The SBE uses the annual Student Advisory Board on Education, or SABE, conference to perform this function.
- Twelve semifinalists must attend the Student Advisory Board on Education (SABE) Conference.
- Semifinalists will participate in all SABE activities.
- Semifinalists will make individual presentations to all other SABE participants about their interest in, and qualifications for, the student member position.
- Following a secret ballot by the SABE participants, the names of six candidates will be submitted for further consideration by the SBE’s Screening Committee.
- The decision of the SABE participants is final.
- Each of the final six candidates will be interviewed by the SBE’s Screening Committee.
- The Screening Committee will recommend three finalists to the SBE.
- Following the Board’s action to select the three finalists, the names of the three finalists will be sent to the Governor.
- The SBE’s recommendations to the Governor are final. Interviews and the selection of three finalists will occur before and at the SBE’s November meeting.
- Representatives of the Governor will interview the three finalists, probably in the late spring or summer.
- One of the finalists is be appointed by the Governor to be the Student Member.
You Might Like…
UNITED STATES STUDENT VOICE DIRECTORY — Updated for 2023
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawai’i | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
RELATED: U.S. Office of Students and Youth | Students on District School Boards across the U.S. | Student Voice in U.S. Education Agencies | List of Education Agencies | “Typical Engagement? Students on School Boards in the U.S.”