Are there students on school boards?
Across the United States and Canada, there is a growing awareness that student voice and Meaningful Student Involvement matter, a lot. It turns out that student voice—which is any expression of any student, anytime, anywhere, about anything related to education—drives all aspects of learning and teaching in schools. More than ever before, students are beginning to ask why student voice isn’t driving leadership in schools, too.
School boards have to change what they’re doing as soon as possible. There is an old adage that says, “Nothing about us without us is for us.” Starting at least in the 1930s, students began to suspect this was true for them. In the 1960s, it became startlingly evident to a larger group of students and educators. However, with the advent of the Internet, never before have more young people felt more compelled to take action.
Following is our collection of tools for students on school boards. Please share your ideas, comments, concerns and considerations in the comment section below!
Table of Contents
- Fact Sheet
- Terms Related to Students on School Boards
- Activities for Students on School Boards
- Rationale for Students on School Boards
- How to Get Students on School Boards
- Options for Student Voice on School Boards
- Should School Boards Elect or Select Student Members?
- Barriers to Students on School Boards
- Quotes about Students on School Boards
- Critical Questions
- Tools for Students on School Boards
Students on School Boards Databases
- State-By-State: Summary of Laws Affecting Students on School Boards
- State-By-State: Summary of Students on School District Boards
- State-by-State: Students on District School Boards
- State-by-State: Students on State Boards of Education
- Provine-by-Province: Laws Affecting Student Involvement in Decision-Making
- SoundOut Guide to Students on School Boards 2nd Edition
- SoundOut Guide to Students on Canadian School Boards
- Training about Students on School Boards